April 3 is the day for my arthroscopic knee surgery! I thought I would be getting in sooner, but I don't mind. It ruins plans I may have had for any sort of weekend, but I don't have those very often anyway.
I was just in Washington DC for about 4 days last week. I went for a DCMA Keystone orientation and actually had a pretty good time. I was able to bring my mother with to be the baggage handler/companion whilst I hobbled along through terminals and to shuttles. It was nice having her along even though everyone at work is now making fun of me for being unable to leave my mother behind. har har, guys.
I met some people that... well, to put it quite honestly, are the probably type of people that I have been hoping I wouldn't run into at these ever-feared DCMA classes. Well, not so much that I wouldn't run into them, but that they would be the only ones to invite me along to an evening of anything-to-do. Drinking is something I have no experience with, and I don't really like the idea of using it to have a good time. Granted, it may ease any tension and loosen up any stiff that may be in the group, but... i guess my idea of a good time is the kind with friends and a good level of sobriety.
Anyway, these guys said they might give Chris and I a call if they got a group together to do anything (Chris is the other keystone from DCMA Twin Cities, only, located in Iowa). They didn't call, but Chris and I bumped into them in the lobby. They were just going to get a bite to eat down by Pentagon Row, and consequently, we joined up with them because our anything-to-do was pretty similar to theirs. Anyway, we took the Metro to a stop near the White House and walked around it (yeah, I "walked"... without crutches. I am progressively learning to walk again!). We gave a shout-out to Barack and the girls while we were there, and then wandered around the pretty desolate Washington DC streets. Our wanderings led us to a place that put most of my companions into somewhat of a stupor, and they were kind enough to share some of the spirit...and they also shared a little of their Jaegermeister knowledge with me. Well, we took a taxi home because my leg was tired, and none of us felt like going through the rigmarole of taking the Metro.
I did have a good time, even though these gentlemen were really not the kind of people I would have expected myself to have fun with. I am pretty sure none of them expected much out of me either. I was a little offended that none of them believed me when I said I would enjoy a gin sour (maybe they don't have those in Boston?). Even though I will never try a Jaeger Bomb, it does sound pretty cool with a Boston accent. So, thanks for the enlightenment on what people from Boston do for fun, boys. :)
As far as the orientation went... I didn't learn that much, mostly because a few boring speakers got me and Chris into a crossword puzzle frenzy that I couldn't get out of until I got home from it all. We were pretty good until that second one...
Don't assume this is an accurate summary of the week. I did take home valuable lessons (for those of you concerned about the usage of your tax dollars contributing to my travel expenses) and have a great Washington DC experience for only having one good leg.
2 comments:
I'm glad you got your surgery date!!! How's the knee feeling these days?
You'd better be able to walk for my wedding, missy! :P
Post a Comment